Furnace Repair Wheaton IL-Services

Posted by on Mar 7, 2018 in Business |

Many people heat their homes in the fall and winter using a central furnace. While they are common in many homes, they are often fairly complex machines that the average homeowner knows little about. They require electricity, a combustible fuel source like natural gas, and hot air. In order to heat your entire home, that boiler needs to get really hot. In the 1960s and 1970s, there were roughly four furnace explosions per year on average. Thankfully, modern technological advancements have brought that number down to only about 0.3 per year. Regular furnace repair and maintenance can help keep the risks low.Visit them at furnace repair Wheaton il to get additional information .Related image

Even with the dramatic reduction in furnace-related accidents, there are still occasional news stories on the catastrophic and often tragic results that can arise from faulty boilers. In late 2012, a home in Indianapolis exploded, killing two people and damaging at least a dozen homes so severely they had to be demolished. The homeowner, John Shirley, told the press that he believed a faulty heater was to blame. He and family members reported smelling gas in the days leading up to the explosion. While the Shirley family did report hiring a contractor to repair the unit, their chosen handyman clearly did not do a sufficient job. Further, by the time a homeowner is smelling a gas leak, he or she has likely already lapsed in allowing things to get to that point. Regularly scheduled inspections for furnace repair and maintenance can make a huge difference.

One contractor states that approximately 95 percent of all explosions could be avoided with annual maintenance visits. Being aware of the potential is also a big part of the solution. That contractor reports that on one job he was called in to look at an air conditioning unit and, while in the house, asked the customer if he’d like him to inspect the heating unit. The homeowner brushed him off but relented when the contractor reminded him that “you can’t be too careful.” Upon examination, the contractor discovered a “one in 10,000” problem that could have proved disastrous. The pilot light had gone off, and the redundant shut-off valve had failed, so gas was slowly filling the home. This particular heater was using propane, which is heavier than air. Because of this denser molecular makeup, propane sits at the bottom of the room and does not emanate as much odor as natural gas.